Fine Art: An Investment Parents Should Make

What is art?

As my mother once told me, “Art is a matter of interpretation.” Art can be expressed as music, photography, painting, sculpting, and so much more.

As we build our home and craft it into what we want it to be, I wanted to give us the gift of a fine art piece. But I wanted it to mean something to us. So I reached out to my ever talented neighbor, Elena Karavodin, and commissioned her to take one of my favorite photos of my children when my youngest was three weeks old and turn it into a painting. To say the results were wonderful would be an understatement.

Below is the photo that I gave her to work with.

img_8790

My babies at three weeks and three years

As you can see I had already put my own creative spin on the image – the color was de-saturated and cropped tight in an elegant frame. The two of them nestled on my daughter’s bed cuddling was completely serene. So it was a no brain-er for me that this was the image I would give Elena.

She kept the colors cool but a little more saturated for a pop of color. And over the course of the next couple months she worked with me to get the piece just right.

The result.

I found the result to be amazing. She was able to capture such great detail, right up to my daughters little turned up nose and even her precious kitty that she sleeps with every night. And my son’s lovely full lips just scream, “kiss me!”

img_8791

The goal for this painting was to have a meaningful piece of art that we could hang in our bedroom with our more intimate family photos around it. But when I gave it to my husband on Christmas Eve he shared that he felt it would be shame to have it up there where no one could see it. So our first piece of fine art hangs proudly in our living room and will be a cherished memento for years and decades to come.

So while many think of “fine art” as Van Gogh or Monet, I think of Elena Karavodin and the priceless custom piece she did for us. For all parents, I highly suggest you consider doing something like this with your children. With a good artist at the helm, the feeling you get seeing the finished product is all but euphoric.

Advertisements

37 thoughts on “Fine Art: An Investment Parents Should Make

1. Catherine Murton says:

What a great idea! 1. The picture already grabbed my heart. 2. Then the art is fabulous! The way she took her own spin on it was amazing. I love that the girls look like they are almost heart shaped with your daughter’s long flowing hair coming around. I’m glad you decided to hang it in the living room where you can admire it several times during the day and share it with all your family and friends! Simply stunning!
    Catherine – http://www.kidandkinblog.com

2. Debra says:

This is so great and the picture is beautiful! I love the idea of filling my house with great art – especially ones where my children are the subjects.

3. Terri Steffes says:

It’s a lovely rendition. You should be very pleased! We have commissioned pieces before but none of our family! We have several of our dogs!

4. Megan mccoig says:

Wow this is incredible. I would love to be able to draw and create visually, it’s such a good talent. Instead, I should invest to!

5. Veronica says:

This is such a beautiful post! Art learns to see the details, the beauty of the world around us and to communicate our feelings to the world.
    Thus is indeed a wonderful investment

6. Brittany says:

Wow what a beautiful piece. That is something you will always cherish. I haven’t had a piece commissioned but whenever I travel I like to pick up a unique piece for our home. I like that some many pieces in my home have a story.

7. almostindianwife says:

Aww I love this. Pictures are so nice to look at over the years but a piece of art… wow! I would love showing off a piece of art showing the love between my kids and I!

8. savagesevenblog says:

Art is a big part of my family’s life so we make it a point to have plenty of it in our home. I do agree that having a piece of fine art or two in the home is very beneficial and something special that can be passed down as well.